Proofs are a pre-publication copy of your finished book. Some publishers print hard copy proofs. We work with electronic versions. These consist of two PDF files:
- Your full cover, back and front with the spine.
- The interior of your book, as it will look printed.
Proofs are used for:
- A final editorial check of your book.
- Pre-publication marketing.
Your designer will upload your designed files to the Proofs Workflow section. We then proofread – a final editorial check for mistakes.
- The Proofreader then uploads the proofread PDF, with corrections highlighted, to the Proofs Workflow section.
- The Designer uploads the corrected, final proofs to the Proofs Workflow section and to the Final Files section of your book’s Production Page, under Final Cover PDF and Final Text PDF – these are the files we send to the printer.
- Later on, once your book has been sent to the printers (usually about six to eight weeks before publication), the Designer also uploads a "no trims PDF" (your designed book without the printers marks) which you can use as a review copy, on your book’s Marketing page in the Publicity section, titled MS no trims.
The Proofs Workflow section
Final Files section of your Production page
One to two months, longer for more complex books.
Add a note to the Author Forum under Editorial and Production if you thought it well or poorly done – it helps us to know.
Share this page: