In this section:
Instagram is a popular social networking app made for sharing photos and videos. With over a billion registered accounts, Instagramming is now officially a verb.
Instagram is always growing and evolving to compete with the competitive social media landscape.
These are the current main ways to communicate on Instagram:
- Instagram posts. The main one. sharing photos or videos, with a caption, to a feed - similar to Facebook, but with more emphasis on the photos.
- Instagram Stories. Customizable posts which last 24 hours. These can be photos or videos, and can be customized with music, filters, stickers and more!
- Instagram Live. "Livestream" or share live video to whoever wants to watch.
- IGTV. Instagram TV – a long form video platform for sharing videos between 15-60 minutes.
- Instagram Reels. A feature that lets you upload videos that are 15 seconds long.
Instagram is free to use and designed to be used on your smartphone. To get started, download the app from the Android or IOS app store. You can use Instagram on an iPad or on the web, but the experience is limited.
- Use hashtags. Hashtags help your posts be seen by people who are not following you. Search for the #bookstagram hashtag – you'll see an example of which hashtags authors and book reviewers.
- Run a giveaway. As a condition of entry, invite people to tag friends in the comments.
- Write a punchy bio for your profile. Your profile is where all your posts are collated and is the place people will visit you first.
- Read our social media top tips.
- Look at how other authors do it.