EXTRA EDITORIAL SERVICES
Whether you're a seasoned writing veteran or new to the industry, most manuscripts can be significantly improved with experienced external input, so we do provide options to buy extra editorial help if you wish to. The work is done by qualified writers we have worked with over a long period, and have usually published. If you're unsure which of the options is best for you, then please get in touch with us via the Author Forum and we'll be happy to discuss. See endorsements for our work at the bottom of this page.
All manuscripts that we accept for publication are copyedited. This is making the style internally consistent, checking grammar, spelling and typos. There is no charge for this on any book.
The following are optional, though occasionally we might say something along the lines of "this manuscript would be fine with a heavy edit, so the offer is subject to that."
A: Light Edit
The manuscript needs more than our standard free copy edit.
- Improve style, grammar, dialogue and general punctuation, check citation accuracy.
- £8/$12 per 1000 words. The completion date will be within four weeks of invoice being paid and manuscript uploaded.
B. Heavy Edit
The manuscript needs more than a Light Edit.
- The Light Edit, plus query writing, rewrite for sense, make appropriate for market.
- £16/$25 per 1000 words. The completion date will be within four weeks of invoice being paid and manuscript uploaded.
C. Heavy Edit with Additional Writing Advice
The manuscript needs more than a Heavy Edit.
- The Heavy Edit plus advice on flow, sentence construction, and referencing. For fiction it may also include advice on dialogue, plot holes and plot structure.
- £24/$37 per 1000 words. The completion date will be within six weeks of invoice being paid and manuscript uploaded.
D. One-to-One Mentoring on Manuscript and Writing Skills
The manuscript is publishable as it stands, but it could be a lot better.
- Four hours in a month via email, including one hour on Skype, £43/$66 per hour.Payable in advance for an initial three months, and extendable per month after that.
- Many authors do not realize where their weaknesses lie. They know their writing is missing something but are at a loss as to what to do about it. Whether you are just starting out, have been struggling to get into print, or simply want to polish your gem, this service will help you to realize your goal.
- Our mentoring package will provide you with a personalized program of development, which will enable you to become a more accomplished writer. Every author has a unique voice and style, and our editors will work hard to ensure that mentoring will preserve and hone this uniqueness. We will at all times listen to your input and concerns about your own writing process.
- An editor specializing in your genre/subject area will work closely with you on a one-to-one basis to strengthen your writing skills and ensure that your book maximizes its potential. You will be set challenges to boost your writing confidence and constructive criticism will enable you to recognize and improve existing strengths and weaknesses.
- We will suggest books that will be helpful to you for those skills you particularly need to improve and enhance, such as dialogue, characterization or sense of place.
- The once-a-month Skype tutorial will address any problems within the project give guidance and support.
- Quoted on demand by external indexer. Around £6 to £9 / $10 to $15 per 1000 words. See more in Index in Preparing Your Manuscript.
We pitch our costs at much less than the going commercial rate; see for instance the Editorial Freelancers Association price list at http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php.
- For all services, “Track Changes” will be shown so that you can see the editing that has taken place.
- Payment terms: Payment will be invoiced and will need to be settled before editing work begins. When your payment is received we will make a note of it on your Production page in Publisher Notes.
- Please note that the above costs are based on the wordage of the final, completed manuscript and not on the submitted word count. If the completed manuscript is over an additional 10% you will be invoiced for the additional work on completion.
Clockwise, from left - Maria Moloney Wilbrink, Krystina Kellingley, Sarah Beth-Watkins,
You are likely to be allocated one of the editors above, depending on the style/subject matter of the book, and availability.
Maria Moloney Wilbrink
Maria is the author of five MBS books, and a children’s novel (and has contributed to several others), edited two magazines, and has many articles published in popular MBS magazines. Over several years she has guest lectured at a UK university, travelled internationally to give talks and workshops, and taught creative writing. She has an honours degree in Imaginative Writing and Literature, and has studied both Writing and Research at postgraduate level. Maria lives in Ireland.
Krystina is a publisher and author with Our Street Books. She has had several short stories published as well as online articles on dream interpretation and other subjects. She is a teacher of creative writing, and lives in the UK.
Sarah has been a freelance writer for over 20 years writing for magazines and websites, on a wide range of topics. She has written over 300 articles for the web. She has four titles published with Compass Books and two with Chronos. She tutors creative writing and journalism courses for various colleges and community centres, and lives in County Wexford, Ireland.
Krystina Kellingley - I find your editing touch just superb.……you have to understand that I have been a lawyer for 17 years and I give advice for a living. I ran small businesses for years before that and am more accustomed to giving orders than to taking them.
However, I am grateful that every rare now and then, a person comes along whose insight and talent demands not only that I listen, but follow her lead. Your initial straightforward comments told me what I needed to do here, and they forced me to look at this book with more of an editor's eye than a writer's eye. The heartless slashing and burning of redundant, weak language which followed, and which you advised, greatly improved this novel, and your kind comments tell me I achieved what you wished me to and what I needed to. Further, your judicious and thoughtful touch on this seems just picture perfect. I feel very lucky to have you working on this and I wanted to express my appreciation.
David I. Aboulafia, Visions Through A Glass, Darkly, Cosmic
After I signed a contract with John Hunt Publishing, I elected to work with Krystina on a monthly basis to refine the writing on my young adult science fiction manuscript.
Before seeking mentorship, I'd work-shopped my manuscript, had numerous reader critiques, edited and rewrote on my own for years. All of these processes were helpful, but during my time with Krystina I grew faster than any other experience. She perceptively diagnosed issues that made my writing inaccessible to the reader and she offered practical strategies for me to address them. Many of her critiques revealed my 'blind spots', problems that I did not notice on my own.
I also felt that aside from excelling as a teacher, she took a personal interest in my progress as a writer. I remain grateful for her wealth of invaluable advice.
Sarah Bergstrom, Desert Dwellers, Lodestone Books
I felt very lucky to have Krystina Kellingley as my editor and mentor. She is a sensitive and intuitive professional with broad vision and a huge knowledge in creative writing.
Krystina is a visionary who has the ability of traveling deeply inside the story as if she were one of the characters. All this ensures a high quality on her work.
F. T. Camargo, Shanti and the Magic Mandala, Our Street Books
I felt it important to write a review on Krystina Kellingley, what a treasure! I was very apprehensive about having an editor go over my manuscript, but all my fears were set-aside with the first email I received back from Krystina. So very easy to work with, she not only improved my manuscript greatly, but did so with uncanny insight honoring my voice and intention. Through the whole process, I was able to learn through the notes she added as she edited, and as a result, I believe I have come out the other end a far better writer. I am planning and hoping to have her edit my next book. Thank you Krystina for finding the symphony in all my noise.
Denise McDermott-King, The Master, The Lover, and Me, Axis Mundi Books (book is in production, cover not currently available)
When I agreed to a mentoring program for my first completed manuscript, I really had no idea what to expect. But Krystina Kellingley quickly had me assured that it would be a great experience. She never hesitated to tell me where my writing could use improvement, while also knowing how to keep a completely constructive tone, always making clear that the goal was to help me make my work better, now and in the future. She also had great suggestions on other works I could read to see examples of what she was talking about done right, which aided a great deal in letting me get the point. I thoroughly enjoyed working with her and am very grateful for everything she did for me.
Ryan Lohner, The Place Beyond, Lodestone Books (book is in production, cover not currently available)
More endorsements under the imprints, on the website, as in http://www.zero-books.net/author-endorsements.html.